ETL Aviation Student Guide

This guide provides information for new students at ETL Aviation.  This includes information such as obtaining a medical certificate, obtaining an airport security badge and more.  

For a student that would like to become a professional helicopter pilot, the training progression is below.

Within each rating there are training requirements, a knowledge test, and a practical test or checkride.  If a pilot already has an equivalent rating in a different category/class, the knowledge test may not be required. 

The following study material is recommended.  We have these items for sale in the office, or you may obtain theme yourself.  The FAA material may be downloaded from our website under the resources tab, but we strongly encourage students to have a paper copy to study.


Helicopter Flying Handbookhttps://www.amazon.com/Helicopter-Handbook-Aviation-Administration-Academics/dp/1619549921/
Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledgehttps://www.amazon.com/Pilots-Handbook-Aeronautical-Knowledge-2020/dp/1659619033/
FAR / AIMhttps://www.amazon.com/FAR-AIM-2021-Regulations-Aeronautical/dp/1619549506/
ASA Test Prep – Private Pilothttps://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilot-Test-Prep-2022/dp/1644251612/
Helicopter Study Guidehttps://www.amazon.com/Helicopter-Study-Guide-practical-checkride/dp/198393447X/

After 9/11 the U.S. Government requires a flight school to determine the citizenship of flight students.  As per 49 CFR 1552.3, we can use the following documents to establish citizenship.   The first to bold items are the most common. 

  • Valid, unexpired United States passport;
  • Original or government-issued certified birth certificate of the United States, American Samoa, or Swains Island, together with a government-issued picture identification of the individual;
  • Original United States naturalization certificate with raised seal, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) (Form N-550 or Form N-570), together with a government-issued picture identification of the individual;
  • Original certification of birth abroad with raised seal, U.S. Department of State Form FS-545, or U.S. Department of State Form DS-1350, together with a government-issued picture identification of the individual;
  • Original certificate of United States citizenship with raised seal, a Certificate of United States Citizenship issued by the USCIS or INS (Form N-560 or Form N-561), or a Certificate of Repatriation issued by the USCIS or INS (Form N-581), together with a government-issued picture identification of the individual; or
  • In the case of flight training provided to a Federal employee (including military personnel) pursuant to a contract between a Federal agency and a flight school, the agency’s written certification as to its employee’s United States citizenship or nationality, together with the employee’s government-issued credentials or other Federally-issued picture identification.

If you are a not a U.S. Citizen, we can still train with you. However, you will need to registrar with the TSA Alien Flight Training Program. Once approved by the TSA, you can begin flight training with us. However, we are NOT presently authorized to issue M1 Student Visas. If you have have any questions, please contact us at info@etlaviation.com

In order to ensure safe flying, the FAA mandates that pilots be medically fit.  There are three levels of medical certificates, depending on the pilot’s duties.  These level are 1st Class, 2nd Class, and 3rd Class.  Before a student pilot can solo, they must have at least a 3rd class medical certificate.   If you plan on flying commercially, it is best to obtain a 1st or 2nd class medical as this would confirm that you meet such standards when you plan on exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot.  

Medical certificates are issued by specifically designed Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).  The FAA maintains a listing of AMEs at https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Prior to your appointment with the AME, you will need to submit a medical questionnaire via the FAA MedExpress website at https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/

The standards for medical certification are contained in 14 CFR part 67. The requirements for obtaining medical certification are contained in 14 CFR part 61.


A new student must obtain a student pilot certificate before a solo flight can be accomplished. Student certificate are obtained via the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA)

IACRA is the web-based certification/rating application that guides the user through the FAA’s airman application process. IACRA helps ensure applicants meet regulatory and policy requirements through the use of extensive data validation. It also uses electronic signatures to protect the information’s integrity, eliminates paper forms, and prints temporary certificates.

The IACRA website is https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx

Apply for you student pilot certificate with your primary flight instructor.

Prior to making an appointment, you must get a signed application from ETL Aviation.  

The badging for unescorted access to the airport requires two appointments at the airport operations.  These appointments are outline below. 

First Appointment:  Submit Application and Fingerprinting

Your signed application is required along with two forms of unexpired identification (a driver’s license and social security card are recommended.). Other forms are included the attached document.

Second Appointment:  Badge Training and Issuing

This step is completed after Airport Operations has confirmed your background checks have been verified.  This training takes about one hour, and your badge will be issued.   If you are assigned a badge, ETL Aviation will withhold $200 on your account until the badge is returned.  This fee is subject to change consistent with any increased charged from the airport for lost/replacement badges. 

Schedule appointments here: 


If you have any questions, contact Airport Operations at 859.425.3112

Most pilot certificates require the pilot to pass a knowledge test. These test are mandated by the FAA but are administered through a designated testing company, PSI.

FAA Knowledge Tests are scheduled through the following link:


14 CFR 61.87(b) states student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:

(1) The test must address the student pilot’s knowledge of –

(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;

(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and

(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.

Take the Pre-Solo Knowledge Test for the 269C-1 Helicopter 

Although not a regulatory requirement, the following quiz is used to ensure rated pilots understand key items before solo flight in the 269C-1 helicopter. 

269C-1 Helicopter Add On Quiz

All pilot certificates are going to require a practical test. The Practical Test Standards are designed to evaluate competency in both knowledge and skill. The appropriate PTS shall be used by FAA inspectors and designated pilot examiners when conducting pilot practical tests. Applicants should be familiar with PTS and refer to these standards during their training.

Prior to taking a checkride, review the practical test standards. Although the test standards do not change frequently, they can be updated from time to time. The current standards are available on the FAA’s website at: